Senior Director of Major Gifts
Partner: Catholic Charities of USA
The Sr. Director of Major Gifts is responsible for cultivating relationships with and managing the stewardship of decision makers at foundations, gift officers within corporations and (ultra) high net worth individuals that are all capable of making principal gifts for current use, as well as deferred gifts to benefit the ministry of Catholic Charities USA (CCUSA).
The Sr. Director of Major Gifts is involved in a full range of duties, while working with other Development Department staff to ensure that gifts for current operations, as well as designated gifts specifically for CCUSA’s strategic initiatives, are an integral component of a team oriented comprehensive donor-focused fundraising strategy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and implement an annual strategy that secures new revenue to support the annual operations of the National Office (CCUSA).
• Develop a communication plan that grows relationships with stakeholders to secure large multi-year commitments. This includes various forms of outreach: phone calls, personal visits and highly customized correspondence – including customized proposals.
• Utilize all of the research platforms available to create prospect pipelines of individuals, foundations and corporations that are capable of making major gifts, with qualified interests in similar causes or projects of like organizations to secure major gifts.
• Work with Development Department’s database administrators to identify donors as prospects for increased giving and candidates for CCUSA’s Giving Circles & Societies.
• Cultivate and build relationships with prospects (including high net worth individuals, philanthropic foundations and corporations) and make requests for significant gifts.
• Work in a concerted effort with Development Department’s Leadership in cultivating donors to consider establishing DAF accounts or making planned gifts to CCUSA.
• Write highly personalized gift proposals to prospects, with specific pre-solicitation and follow-up strategies reflecting that personalization on an individual-by-individual basis.
• Write gift proposals to high net worth individuals, corporations and foundations for multi-year pledges with specific requests for supporting strategic priorities & programs.
• Ensure timely correspondence and proper acknowledgment within department policies.
• Provide regular updates on prospecting efforts to secure new donors for the Organization.
• Ensure the proper recording of all contact with donors and prospects is accurately recorded in the database within organizations established policies & procedures.
• Maximize use of available resources, informational materials and creative assets to ensure donors receive consistent communication and appropriate, timely information.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Proven ability and track record of securing large gifts.
• Strong knowledge of fundraising principles, including recognized best practices.
• Friendly, outgoing personality that affords personal comfort with wide array of constituents
• Able to interact with stakeholders with both enthusiasm and passion for CCUSA’s mission.
• A great listener that can effectively engage with others and grow personal relationships.
• Never-ending interest in learning. Desire to grow professionally and broaden horizons.
• Maintain highest levels of customer satisfaction with existing donors.
• Exceptional skills in working with high net worth individuals and persons of influence.
• Thrive in a fast-paced, creative and ever-evolving environment.
• Exceptional skills in managing multiple projects and meeting corresponding deadlines.
• Very organized. Very focused. Very disciplined.
• Keep current on philanthropic trends and developments in the charitable giving sector.
• Adaptability to various donor markets. Position interacts with different levels of stakeholders
• Ability to work both collaboratively as well as independently – while meeting deadlines.
• Adherence to highest level of ethical standards in communication with external stakeholders.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Excellent analytical skills, allowing for concise segmentation of data.
• Maintain strict confidentiality and discretion in matters pertaining to donors and CCUSA.
Educational & Experience:
Combination of education and experience to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, including:
• Bachelor’s degree. Masters preferred.
• 5+ years’ experience in fund development; with a proven track record of success.
• Experience being a member of an effective fundraising team.
• Relational database experience preferred.
• Team player with high energy and passion for the mission, able to multi- task and meet deadlines in fast-paced environment.
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
CCUSA provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender, military service or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, age, disability or marital status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. CCUSA complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.