Major Gifts Officer
Partner: Benedictine College
Benedictine College is seeking a major gifts officer (MGO) to join its advancement department and support its strategic growth initiatives. The MGO will be supporting the advancement team while living remotely on the East Coast. This position is regular, full-time, exempt, and reports to the Director of Advancement Operations. Travel will be primarily on the East Coast with a focus on the Washington D.C. and Greater New York City areas.
ABOUT BENEDICTINE COLLEGE
Founded by monks and nuns who overcame the challenges of the early Kansas frontier, Benedictine College is dedicated to educating students to become leaders in the Benedictine tradition, transforming the world through their commitment to intellectual, personal, and spiritual greatness. The College is located along the bluffs of the Missouri River and is home to over 1900 students.
Impressively, Benedictine has seen a record growth in enrollment and added 30% more full-time faculty in recent years. Recognized by First Things and The Newman Guide as one of the Top 20 Recommended Catholic Colleges in America, Benedictine is the largest private college in Kansas, a nationally recognized Catholic institution of higher education, and attracts exceptional students from across the nation and forms them into the leaders of tomorrow. True to its mission of community, faith and scholarship, Benedictine graduates are equipped to successfully answer the nation’s need for strong well-formed leaders, in fields varying from nursing and business to finance and art.
Benedictine College is at an exciting time in its history and is poised for exponential growth. The college is starting a capital campaign to create a Center of Constitutional Liberty, a Center of Beauty and Culture, a Center of Family Life, and a Center of Eco-Stewardship. The MGO will be an instrumental member of this effort that will be a beacon of truth and hope both on campus and beyond. For more information about Benedictine College, please visit https://www.benedictine.edu/.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Benedictine is seeking a passionate, faithful, and driven MGO to develop relationships with potential donors interested in supporting Benedictine College’s passion for the Catholic faith and higher education. The candidate must embody the Benedictine values of hospitality and commitment to excellence who can share this vision beyond the campus and into society.
Much of the position will be on the road, requiring the MGO to demonstrate a high degree of initiative, excellent interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work strategically to drive success. Likewise, to be effective, the MGO will use donor recognition structures, move management systems, and cultivation and solicitation practices. The position will be supported by a dynamic staff based on campus and have the opportunity to form meaningful collegial relationships.
Benedictine is seeking the right person for this position—meaning it may be ideal for someone looking to bring their seasoned fundraising skills to a dynamic college campus with an exciting strategic plan for growth—who thrives in forming personal relationships, is achievement oriented, and has a strong desire to help bring into reality life-changing opportunities for students for generations to come.
Benedictine College supports the development and growth of its staff through trainings and conferences. Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefits package. One notable benefit is FREE TUITION offered at Benedictine College for the MGO’s children for the duration of employment.
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Managing a caseload of largely prospective donors;
- Cultivating and soliciting assigned donors, serving as the face of Benedictine College;
- Meeting with donors in-person and attending national events;
- Maintaining donor database system and using information systems to ensure timely and appropriate stewardship;
- Adhering to stewardship best practices and department policies and procedures;
- Reviewing fundraising key performance indicators and revenue goals quarterly;
- Identifying, researching, cultivating, and soliciting prospective donors;
- Using wealth screening information and other research to create individual cultivation and solicitation plans, with assistance from fundraising consultants, for all active and prospective donors;
- Helping to draft or review solicitation, cultivation, or collateral materials, including quarterly newsletter and annual report, for caseload;
- Assisting with coordination of donor events and outreach, as needed;
- Travelling to Benedictine College for advancement department meetings anywhere from 4-6 times per year; and
- Representing Benedictine College and deepening understanding of and credibility for the mission and vision among donors and key stakeholders.
5-10 years+ of professional experience with at least 3 years of nonprofit fundraising experience. The candidate will also:
- Model integrity, accountability, and a strong sense of professional ethics and confidentiality.
- Support, embrace, and advocate Benedictine College’s mission and vision passionately and persuasively.
- Have or quickly develop a solid understanding of fundraising practices, ideally with major gifts.
- Establish trust and strong working relationships with colleagues, institutional partners, and donors.
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in written form.
- Have a high degree of organization, use of systems, and use of moves-management/database.
- Be adept in managing multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Be motivated by taking initiative and driving success.
- Be able to travel up to 50% (east coast regional focus).
- Cover letter that outlines your interest in the position, how your values align with Benedictine College, a highlight of your professional and/or personal achievements that have relevance to the position’s responsibilities
- Writing sample from professional experience (i.e. solicitation letter)
- Three professional references