LOCATION: Remote or in one of our offices in West Chester, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Chicago, IL; or, Denver, CO.
American Philanthropic is a growing, national philanthropic consulting and services firm with offices in the Philadelphia, Chicago, Phoenix, and Denver metro areas. American Philanthropic works with charitable foundations and nonprofits to strengthen civil society—those nongovernmental, non-market-based associations and organizations which are vital to the health of our democracy. To do this, we offer strategic planning and assessment services, as well as a variety of services related to grantmaking and fundraising including development training, messaging and branding assistance, creation of donor-oriented materials and solicitations, donor prospect research, and direct mail program management, among others. More information is available at www.americanphilanthropic.com.
The director of recruitment works within the recruitment and talent services group at American Philanthropic and is primarily responsible for leading talent assessment and recruitment engagements for clients. By interfacing regularly with clients as the engagement lead and main project manager for talent initiatives, the director of recruitment will support recruitment, assessment, and advising on talent projects for clients; drive excellent execution of client deliverables; and assist with client cultivation and development of new business. The director of recruitment will be instrumental to growing the company’s recruitment services.
This position will work closely with other members of the American Philanthropic staff to ensure that the firm continues to meet a high standard of excellence in serving its clients and fulfilling its obligations. Primary activities and responsibilities include the following.
Engagement Leadership and Consulting
- Consulting regularly with clients—both in person and via e-mail, phone and video calls, etc.—on a wide range of management, recruitment, and personnel-related projects and issues;
- Guiding strategy and execution on multiple client personnel search engagements with excellence, expertise, and efficiency;
- Leading client engagements and owning client cultivation efforts with the goal of building strong relationships of trust with clients;
- Responding in a prompt and professional manner to client and company communications and needs and/or managing up to others involved with the hiring process when their input is needed;
- Leading and overseeing talent-related audits, analysis, and recommendations;
- Writing, reviewing, and editing job narratives, marketing and advertisement copy, interview and assessment documents and rubrics, and other documents to ensure quality and fit with company or client objectives;
- Supporting the creation of talent recruitment and retention strategies and processes;
- Ensuring successful coordination of competing priorities and deadlines; and
- Addressing and resolving client issues in a positive and professional manner.
- Researching qualified candidates and actively recruiting talent;
- Interviewing candidates and facilitating other assessment measures;
- Conducting thorough reference and background checks for candidates;
- Scheduling client meetings, candidate interviews, and calls;
- Drafting and sending call agendas, taking call and meeting notes, and tracking action items;
- Serving as project manager and managing up to other staff within your consulting group on substantial client engagements;
- Coordinating and following up with internal and external parties such as other consultants, researchers, writers, designers, etc. as needed to execute client deliverables; and
- Using application tracking systems and other planning tools for both internal and external use to monitor status of client deliverables and ensure their timely delivery.
Business Development and Other
- Helping to build the respect and recognition of American Philanthropic by publishing articles and representing the firm at client meetings, conferences, seminars, and other events;
- Actively engaging in the business development process at American Philanthropic by helping to build strong relationships with current clients, manage contract renewals, and identify and bring in new clients;
- Building relationships of trust with key members of the philanthropic community; and
- Assisting with the performance of other tasks, as needed.
The position reports directly to the managing consultant, recruitment and talent development and may require occasional local and national travel for candidate interviews, company meetings, events, and trainings.
The ideal candidate will have 6-8+ years of professional experience, including some time spent in recruitment for nonprofit organizations. Liberal arts background preferred. An exceptional candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong personal interest and commitment to American Philanthropic’s mission of strengthening society’s “little platoons”—the independent mediating institutions and voluntary associations that constitute civil society and are vital to human flourishing;
- Personal interest in and alignment with the client base served by American Philanthropic, as well as facility with contemporary American political, cultural, sociological, and economic discourse, especially as those realms of thinking impinge upon civil society;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a capacity to build personal relationships of trust and respect both with clients and colleagues;
- An exceptional ability to multi-task, organize, and manage multiple projects and deadlines with a high degree of prudence and conscientiousness;
- Strong writing, analytical, and research skills;
- Capacity to take personal ownership of projects, accomplish tasks, manage up to others, and make consistent progress on projects with minimal supervision;
- A strong work ethic, humble manner, and willingness to go above and beyond when necessary in order to help our clients and the company succeed and grow; and
- Enthusiasm about the opportunity to help build a fast-growing consulting and services firm into a major force in American philanthropy; and
- The desire and ability to make a positive contribution to a company culture that values practical wisdom, excellence, integrity, hard work, and conviviality.
- Cover letter that outlines 1) your interest in the position 2) how your values align with our mission 3) a highlight of your professional and/or personal achievements that have particular relevance to your ability to perform the role’s duties with excellence
- Writing sample from professional experience
- Three professional references