LOCATION: West Chester, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Denver, CO; Oak Park, IL preferred. Remote considered for exceptional candidates.
ABOUT AMERICAN PHILANTHROPIC:
American Philanthropic is a growing, national philanthropic consulting and services firm with offices in the Philadelphia, Chicago, Phoenix, and Denver metro areas. American Philanthropic works with charitable foundations and nonprofits to strengthen civil society—those nongovernmental, non-market-based associations and organizations which are vital to the health of our democracy. To do this, we offer strategic planning and assessment services, as well as a variety of services related to grantmaking and fundraising including development training, messaging and branding assistance, creation of donor-oriented materials and solicitations, donor prospect research, and direct mail program management, among others. More information is available at www.americanphilanthropic.com.
This position at American Philanthropic works within our capital campaigns consulting group and is primarily responsible for creating client deliverables and providing project management support for multiple clients and engagements served by that consulting group. This position will work closely with other members of the American Philanthropic staff and with contractors to ensure that the firm continues to meet a high standard of excellence in serving its clients and fulfilling its obligations. Primary activities and responsibilities include the following.
Client Support and Project Management
- Assisting with the creation of strategic capital campaigns and communications audits and plans;
- Scheduling client meetings and calls;
- Interviewing clients’ key stakeholders for campaign feasibility studies;
- Drafting and sending call agendas, taking call and meeting notes, and tracking action items;
- Responding in a prompt and professional manner to client communications and needs and/or managing up to others involved with the client when their input is needed;
- Assisting with the creation of client messaging and collateral materials, including drafting content and coordinating design and printing, as necessary;
- Coordinating and following up with internal and external parties such as other consultants, researchers, designers, writers, mail-houses, printers, etc. as needed to execute client deliverables;
- Managing tracking sheets, development calendars, moves management, and other planning tools for both internal and external use to monitor status of client deliverables and ensure their timely delivery;
- Reviewing, editing, and/or writing grant proposals, solicitation letters, and other documents to ensure quality and fit with client objectives;
- Researching qualified individual, foundation, and corporate donor prospects and creating formal profiles on these donor prospects;
- Editing, proof-reading, and other communications-related tasks; and
- Preparing client and board reports as needed.
Administrative and Other Tasks
- Assisting with office-related duties and events, as requested;
- Assisting senior staff with administrative tasks as needed;
- Inputting data into Salesforce and helping maintain contact records and other information as needed;
- Representing the firm at client meetings, conferences, seminars, and other events;
- Acquiring an awareness of the business development process at American Philanthropic and supporting the company’s growth efforts as requested; and
- Assisting with the performance of other company-related tasks as needed.
The position reports directly to the Managing Consultant of Capital Campaigns and may require up to 10 days/month of local or national travel for meetings, events, and trainings.
The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of professional experience, including some time spent in nonprofit organizations. Some campaign experience strongly preferred. Liberal arts background preferred. An exceptional candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong personal interest and commitment to American Philanthropic’s mission of strengthening society’s “little platoons”—the independent mediating institutions and voluntary associations that constitute civil society and are vital to human flourishing;
- Personal interest in and alignment with the client base served by American Philanthropic, as well as interest in and facility with contemporary American political, cultural, sociological, and economic discourse, especially as those realms of thinking impinge upon civil society;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a capacity to build personal relationships of trust and respect with both clients and colleagues;
- An exceptional ability to multi-task, organize, and manage multiple projects and deadlines with a high degree of prudence and conscientiousness;
- Strong writing, analytical, and research skills;
- Capacity to take personal ownership of projects, accomplish tasks, manage up to others, and make consistent progress on projects with minimal supervision;
- A strong work ethic, humble manner, and willingness to go above and beyond when necessary in order to help our clients and the company succeed and grow;
- Enthusiasm about the opportunity to help build a fast-growing consulting and services firm into a major force in American philanthropy; and
- The desire and ability to make a positive contribution to a company culture that values practical wisdom, excellence, integrity, hard work, and conviviality.
- Cover letter that outlines 1) your interest in the position 2) how your values align with our mission 3) a highlight of your professional and/or personal achievements that have particular relevance to your ability to perform the role’s duties with excellence
- Writing sample, preferably from professional experience
- Three professional references