Donor Relations Manager
Partner: Hope & A Future
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11
Hope & A Future was founded to address the crisis of Arizona’s foster care system and has served over 5,000 foster children and family members since its inception in 2004. More than 14,000 children live in the state foster care system, and more than 800 children “age out” of the system without ever finding a forever family—resulting in increased risk of unemployment, homelessness, and incarceration.
Now, to propel the execution of their four-year strategic plan, Hope & A Future seeks to hire their first Donor Relations Manager (DRM) to deepen their work in making a considerable difference in the lives of foster children. Partnering with the Hope & A Future’s President, Executive Director, and fundraising consultants at American Philanthropic, the Donor Relations Manager will be primarily responsible for taking the necessary steps to increase revenue by 30% by 2025. This growth in revenue will help launch an alumni association and increase volunteer participation in their core programs. This position would be based out of the Phoenix office and require local travel to meet with donors, corporations, and foundations.
Hope & A Future’s Christian values have generated enriching and life-changing programs to ensure that foster care children have the love, support, and tools they need to realize the hope for their full human potential. HAF’s programs range from summer camps, volunteer mentorship, and life-skills workshops. For more information, you can read about Hope & A Future’s work at https://azhope.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/azhope.
To serve abused and neglected children in the Arizona foster care system by helping them reach their potential and achieve their dreams.
To ensure that one day all children in the Arizona foster care system will have a hope for their future.
Guiding Christian Principles
Annual Operating Budget
The DRM’s primary responsibilities are in the three following areas:
- Foundation Outreach—including the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of relationships with grantmaking foundations and their staff; using donor research tools effectively and proactively reaching out to new foundation prospects; maintaining accurate and thorough moves-management records, adhering to administrative and recordkeeping guidelines to support accurate documentation of donations in the CRM.
- Corporate Development—proactively reaching out to corporate donor prospects and attending events to build relationships with corporate decisionmakers who give to local and national charities; providing accurate moves-management recordkeeping in the CRM.
- Donor Relations—connecting with current and lapsed individual donors through one-on-one meetings; hosting smaller development-focused events; using wealth screen and prioritizing the cultivation of top donors with the most giving potential; building relationships with current and potential donor by connecting them to Hope & A Future’s mission and work.
The DRM embodies the faith in the founding Biblical passage for Hope & A Future, embraces Christian values, and has a heart for inspiring others to equip and encourage young people. He or she will also:
- Have at least 2+ years of nonprofit fundraising or sales experience, with at least 3-5+ years of professional experience.
- Be able to cultivate and nurture a variety of relationships (ex. donors, foundation staff, corporate leaders).
- Embody the entrepreneurial spirit required for a smaller nonprofit and proactively seek out new opportunities for new forms of funding along with organizational partnerships.
- Support and advocate Hope & A Future’s mission and vision passionately and persuasively.
- Have the ability to work independently and take initiative in a fast-paced environment.
- Have a high degree of organization, use of systems, and use of moves-management databases, with a knowledge of Donor Perfect or similar CRMs preferred.
- Be a team player and have an eagerness to lend a hand for large Hope & A Future events; experience in organizing and planning events is preferred.
- Have knowledge about the Arizona foster care tax credit and be able to articulate the tax credit’s benefits to potential donors and partner organizations (preferred).
- Cover letter that outlines your interest in the position, how your values align with Hope & A Future, and a highlight of your professional and/or personal achievements that have relevance to the position’s responsibilities
- Writing sample from professional experience (ex. solicitation letter)
- Three professional references