Donor Relations Manager
Partner: Freedom Alliance
Location: Remote (West Coast)
Freedom Alliance is seeking a donor relations manager (DRM) to join its development department and support the growth of the organization’s national programs. The DRM will support the development team while living remotely on the West Coast. This position is regular, full-time, exempt, and reports to the President. Travel for this role will be primarily on the West Coast with a particular focus in California and Arizona.
ABOUT FREEDOM ALLIANCE
Freedom Alliance is one of the nation’s leading military support organizations. By promoting America’s heritage of freedom and supporting those who defend it, Freedom Alliance leads the home front efforts to honor the fallen, support fighters in the field, help wounded troops rehabilitate, and assist families struggling with the wounds of war. Freedom Alliance does this by:
- Offering rehabilitation and recovery services to services members and military families to help them overcome the wounds of war; and,
- Hosting marriage and family retreats to repair and renew the bonds severed through dangerous deployments;
- Awarding college scholarships to the sons and daughters of America’s fallen or disabled heroes;
- Sending Gifts from Home care packages to our troops overseas to help them survive a harsh and hostile climate;
- Giving Christmas gifts to children of military families who are struggling with combat wounds and service related injuries.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Freedom Alliance is seeking a humble, good-humored, and hardworking DRM to develop relationships with potential donors interested in supporting Freedom Alliance’s mission to advance the American heritage of freedom by honoring those who have served in the military.
Much of the position will include day trips and flights to cities on the West Coast, requiring the DRM to demonstrate strong work ethic, excellent interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work strategically to drive success. Likewise, to be effective, the DRM will use donor recognition structures, move management systems, and cultivation and solicitation practices. The position will be supported with weekly coaching sessions from outside fundraising consultants along with regular support from the internal development team.
Freedom Alliance is seeking a person who is the right fit: someone who thrives in forming personal relationships, is achievement oriented, and has a strong desire to help America’s heroes and their families finding healing from the wounds of war.
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefits package. Freedom Alliance also gives generous paid time off, including all federal holidays.
The primary responsibility is to generate revenue for the organization to help carry out programmatic and operating functions by:
- Qualifying and managing a caseload of approximately 150 donors;
- Cultivating and soliciting assigned donors, serving as the face of Freedom Alliance;
- Creating individual communication and marketing plans with assistance from fundraising consultants for all active and prospective donors to ensure high retention and upgrades;
- Working with program and management staff to put together appropriate project information, including budgets, financial documents, and custom proposals;
- Meeting with supporters in-person and remotely; learning about the donor’s philanthropic goals and helping them achieve those goals.
- Maintaining donor database system and using information systems to ensure timely and appropriate stewardship;
- Adhering to stewardship best practices and department policies and procedures;
- Reviewing fundraising key performance indicators and revenue goals monthly;
- Helping to draft or review solicitation, cultivation, or collateral materials;
- Assisting with coordination of donor and programmatic events and outreach, as needed;
- Travelling to Freedom Alliance’s headquarters about twice a year.
- Help donors see the impact of their investment and how their philanthropy changes the lives of others.
3-5 years+ of professional experience with at least 3 years of nonprofit fundraising experience. The candidate will also:
- Model humility, integrity, discernment, and a high degree of confidentiality in their professional experiences;
- Support and advocate Freedom Alliance’s mission and vision passionately and convincingly;
- Have a solid understanding of fundraising practices, particularly in the area of major gifts;
- Establish trust and strong working relationships with colleagues, organizational partners, and donors;
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in written form.
- Have a high degree of organization, use of systems, and use of moves-management databases, with a knowledge of Salesforce preferred;
- Be adept in managing multiple projects and competing priorities;
- Be self-motivated to take initiative and drive success; and,
- Be able to travel up to 40% (West Coast regional focus).
- Cover letter that outlines your interest in the position, how your values align with Freedom Alliance, a highlight of your professional and/or personal achievements that have relevance to the position’s responsibilities
- Writing sample from professional experience (i.e. solicitation letter)
- Three professional references