GREAT HEARTS ARIZONA CMO: DIRECTOR OF MAJOR GIFTS
POSITION: Director of Major Gifts
DEPARTMENT: Great Hearts Arizona CMO
LOCATION: Great Hearts Phoenix Office
REPORTS TO: Chief Advancement Officer, Great Hearts Academies
EEO Classification: Professionals
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Great Hearts Academies is a nonprofit charter management organization (CMO) that operates classical preparatory K-12 public charter schools. Our academies cultivate the minds and hearts of students through the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty.
We currently serve over 13,000 students in Arizona and Texas and are dedicated to serving new communities with our liberal arts model of public education and restoring excellence to American public education. We proudly prepare students for success at the best colleges and universities in the nation, but see our larger purpose as producing great-hearted graduates that are prepared to be intellectual, moral, and engaged citizens.
Great Hearts Arizona currently serves over 11,000 students at 23 schools in the greater Phoenix area, where we have grown from a single rented space to the largest nonprofit charter network in the state. Our primary goal is to graduate thoughtful leaders of character who will contribute to a more philosophical, humane and just society. As our national network grows, we will offer this opportunity to more families and educate more great-hearted graduates, serving as a catalyst for reforming public education. Additional information can be found at http://www.greatheartsamerica.org/.
The Director of Development is responsible for growing and sustaining the pool of major individual, foundation, and corporate donors in Arizona to Great Hearts Academies. He/she will be responsible for executing a strategic major donor plan, including the implementation of a donor recognition structure for major gifts, while personally cultivating a portfolio of Great Hearts supporters in Arizona. He/she will direct other development staff members to efficiently identify, cultivate, and recognize existing and potential major donors. The Director of Development will work with other staff leaders, board members, and stakeholders to maintain a consistent message about the importance of major donors in fulfilling the mission of Great Hearts in Arizona.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership, coordination, and execution for Phoenix-based and network-wide major donor fundraising programs to meet short- and long-term goals.
- Implement and systematize a new major donor club structure to recognize and cultivate major donors to Great Hearts in Arizona.
- Manage Arizona-based development team members.
- Coordinate corporate and foundation giving in Arizona, including relationship cultivation and grant oversight.
- Work with our team of Directors of Academy Giving for school-based fundraising and identification of major donor prospects at the campus level.
- Personally manage a portfolio of major individual donors.
- Communicate with the Great Hearts Arizona Board of Directors to support the development work of the board.
- Convey unified message and narratives to major donors in conjunction with Great Hearts communications team and development staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Classical or traditional liberal arts education preferred.
Experience: Minimum three years of fundraising and/or related experience such as business development, sales, or cause-marketing.
- Passion for the mission of Great Hearts Academies and commitment to Great Hearts’ core values.
- Knowledge of the educational and philosophical landscape in which Great Hearts operates.
- Familiarity with development moves management and fundraising aptitude.
- Strong ability to communicate mission and build strong personal relationships with prospective and current major donors.
- Superior writing, public speaking, and presentation skills.
- Achievement-oriented, have a great deal of stamina to work hard, and take satisfaction from being productive.
- Strong ability to build new systems of organization in which other employees thrive.
- Thrive in a fast paced, mission driven, team environment.
- Strong Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) skills experience.
Type of fingerprint clearance: Must possess or obtain valid Arizona Department of Public Safety fingerprint clearance card.
Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. May be required to move or position equipment up to 15 pounds approximately.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS:
Licenses or certifications: Driver’s License.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Competitive executive salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance and 401k match.
Must have the ability to travel locally in Arizona on a weekly basis and out of state occasionally, including air travel.
To apply, please contact Devon Ironside via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Great Hearts Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.